Monday, May 30, 2011

We're getting closer

So, I was lucky enough to find internet access at the hotel we are staying at.  We made it to London after a long flight!  I think I've had enough of trying to sleep while sitting up!  We did have good company and plenty of laughs.  I sat next to a man from Maryland who is retired from the airlines and flies everywhere for free.  He and his wife and been to many other countries and I enjoyed hearing about their travels.  When we switched planes, we were lucky enough to sit next to another mother and daughter team from Philadelphia.  They were headed to London for a wedding.  They had us laughing the whole way!  The daughter had recently seen a TV show about the Camino trail and had lots of questions for us.  She is very excited to try it herself someday.  It was amazing at how curious people were about our trip.  Some had overheard our discussions and it started a chain of questions from everyone around us.  One of the most common questions was WHY?  We just chuckled and said, "Why not?!"  My mom explained that when she decided to go for the first time, it was because she felt like it was calling her.  She had read one of Shirley McClain's books where she mentioned going on the Camino.  After that, my mom could not get it out of her mind.

I'm loving the British accent here in London.  It's so fun to listen to.  I keep thinking that I might  be running into a member of the Royal family at any moment! LOL

Yesterday, we were exhausted and could hardly keep our eyes open.  When we firgured out the time, it was because we had basically stayed awake thru the night (AZ time)!  When we finally made it to our hotel, we both voted for a nap.  We had about 3 hours before dinner.  Then we met down in the bar area and had traditional Fish & Chips!  It was great!  We ate and decided to bed for the night--and it was only 7pm local time.  I felt like it was 3 am!  As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out--until 12 midnight.  My eyes opened and I was wide awake.  I decided to stop fighting it and turn on a movie.  Finally at 2:30am, I was ready to go back to sleep.  Woke up at 6:30, bright eyed and bushy tailed.  I was showered and packed even before my wake up call came in at 8am.  So, now I'm down in the lobby and my mom has joined me.  We are going to have breakfast and then make our way to the small airport nearby.  We are flying to Biarritz France today where we then catch a cab to St. Jean Pied de Port.  This is where we will find a place to spend the night before our official first day of walking tomorrow!  I'm ready to get on the trail and forget all this travel stuff.  Although, it has been really nice not to have any luggage to carry.  My backpack is heavy but easy to carry.

I haven't found a way to upload any videos or pics yet.  Hope to somewhere along the way!

Love to our family.  I miss Carlos and the boys already.  Wish they were here.

No comments:

Post a Comment