Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Camino is NOT for Wimps!

I have had several conversations with my fellow pilgrims, who say that their friends think they are on a wonderful, relaxing vacation.  OH BROTHER!!  i am here to tell you that the Camino is not for wimps!  It has been one of the hardest things I have ever done!  So far in my blog, I´ve highlighted the fun, interesting and beautiful things that we´ve seen and done.  I´ve also thrown in a few hard experiences.  But, let me tell you more about the things that we´ve had to go through. 

In my opinion, the Camino is a personal challenge.  It isn´t so much a sight seeing tour (at least the way we have been doing it), but more of an athletic event.  I am truly amazed at the extent at which I´ve been able to push my body, mind and spirit.  I have walked with excruciating pain for weeks from blisters, and joint & tendon pain.  I have been so cold that I had to wear ALL of my clothing.  I have been so hot, that my clothes were completely saturated with sweat--down to my underwear and socks!  I have been so exhausted and felt like there was no way I could take another steph.  But, somehow I found the will to keep going and walk 15-20 miles EVERYDAY!  I´ve learned so much about myself and what I´m capable of.  I´ve also learned that I can do anything!  I can do anything if I am prepared, if I take it step by step and if I ask for the Lord´s help.  Many days when I knew that I couldn´t go on, I prayed that Heavenly Father would give me the strength and courage I needed to continue.  I promised Him that I would keep moving my feet and not stop until I reached my goal if he would give me the energy and will to go on.  There were times when the heat seemed to be unbearable because there hadn´t been any shade ont the trail.  But time and time again, a little miracle would present itself...Just as I was at the end of my rope, a pocket of shade would appear from a tree and a cool breeze would blow across my face.  Each time, I would thank God for this blessing and promise to keep moving.  I knew he was there and would not leave me alone.  Not everyone can come to the Camino trail, but it would be so wonderful if each of us could find something that would push us to our limits--something that would show you how far you can really go physically, emotionally and spiritually.  The Camino trail has truly been the hardest thing I´ve every done, but also the most amazing.  I´m grateful for the opportunity and Heavenly Father´s watchful hand.

Yvette

No comments:

Post a Comment